Wednesday, October 3, 2012

To much time in the kitchen...

But in a good way!

Ever since the hubby and I made our homemade pierogies we have been sort of toying with the idea of making our own bread. (I don't think we will do it all the time, just occasionally when we do have the time. I am not against store bought bread or anything like that. I wanted to make it just for the fun of it so when it stops being fun I will stop making it.) I wanted to make bread last week, but forgot to buy yeast when we were grocery shopping. I finally picked some up during yesterday's trip. Now let me say now that I am not an amazing cook. I did not grow up with home cooked meals and learn all sorts of tips throughout my life. I am finally picking up things here and there (and by that I mostly mean the internet). I have also finally gotten to the point that I can make up dinner every day and hubby eats it without to much complaining.

Now I don't know what went through my head but I saw a picture of homemade English muffins and became obsessed with trying to make them. I think it's just that I have been eating an English muffin with peanut butter every morning for breakfast. I made the dough during little lady's nap and messed with it until the evening when they were ready to go. I actually had fun and would think about doing it again. Thankfully, I made 26 muffins so I should be set for awhile.

I shaped the dough and let them rise.
I actually cooked them on the skillet.
They actually look like English muffins. I am so proud!

So what is next on the agenda? Here is a sneak peak of this evenings activites...
I have some bread dough rising.

I am excited to see how this bread will turn out. I have always been afraid of working with yeast so I haven't experienced with it much. Maybe my new hobby will be baking. (That could be bad for the waist line. yikes.)

On to the good stuff...I have been feeling super healthy lately. I have even been cooking actual lunches lately. Usually I just eat a salad or turkey sandwich, but I sort of burnt out on those options and wasn't sure what to do. I ate soup for a week, but never feel satisfied with just soup. Low and behold the answer to my problem was in my freezer. For some reason whenever I thought about eating healthy I would buy a pack of frozen fish fillets and plan on eating them, but never really would. Last week when I grew bored of turkey sandwiches and was panicked for lunch one day I saw my frozen tilapia just sitting there. I had bought some dill mustard and decided to grill the tilapia and make a sandwich with it and the dill mustard. I didn't have very high hopes but figured for 100 calories worth of fish and 100 calories worth of bread that it was worth a shot. I actually really enjoyed it and ate that lunch every day until I ran out of tilapia. Monday night I was searching through the freezer in preparation for Tuesday's grocery shopping and found some salmon that was still good. I wasn't sure if salmon would work in my sandwich creation (to be fair, I don't know how to pair many foods together) but figured I could at least eat it for lunches this week to save some money. Thankfully, I didn't have to try it as a sandwich because I found a salmon recipe on Budget Bytes (just found this blog and love it, I think I found the english muffins here too!) that morning and had everything to make her teriyaki salmon with sriracha mayo. When lunch time came I was actually really excited. I made some rice to go along with my salmon and couldn't believe how good it smelled while cooking. OMG it tasted amazing! I ate it today too and have one fillet left for tomorrow.

On a physical fun note I took a long walk again today with my new mom friend. Of course it started sprinkling just as I got to her house, but we toughed it out and walked for about an hour and a half. We went about 5 miles. It was fun but a bit cold with the rain. Of course it stopped raining just as we got back to her house. Tomorrow I am supposed to go on a bike ride with a friend. There is a chance for rain again so we will see. 

Closing note here, I was very happy when I stepped on the scale this morning. My fingers are crossed that I don't go overboard soon and can share my good news on Friday!




No comments:

Post a Comment