Monday, October 15, 2012

Mustard

I did it! I wore my bright yellow mustard sweater out today! I felt amazing and didn't mind if the color brought a little attention my way. I even took a picture of me before I left. I thought I looked amazing and sort of panicked once I was out because occasionally I think I look great in a picture when it's nice and small on the camera and then when it's full size on the computer I realize that I look rough. As soon as little lady went down for her nap, I pulled up the picture on the computer. I was okay with what I saw. It was also nice to only have to take one picture to get a good one and not take a million different pictures to try to make myself look less fat.
feeling much better than last week!
This picture actually helped me on my run this afternoon. I got some more use out of the treadmill today. I had 3 miles on the schedule and figured I could get it in while little lady sleeps. It felt better than last time, but was also super boring. I did not feel like running. I took 2 breaks from the treadmill during the run. I got it done though and feel good about it. As I was nearing the end of my run I kept thinking I could just stop running and call it day, that I didn't need to do the whole 3 miles. Then, I started to think about why I want to run. I was thinking about how nice the picture made me feel. I hate full body photos, but I don't hate this one. I like that my legs are beginning to thin out- running sure is good for the legs! I also really liked that my collarbones really popped in the picture. There have been times where I try to make them pop a little for a picture in hopes of tricking someone into believing that I am not as heavy as I am, but these were truly there on their own- I am betting running may have helped take some of the extra padding off them. I also can see my midsection isn't as big as it was but still has some extra cushion- running will help shrink that down some more. So I finished strong and felt happy!


On a different note there were some possible victories for me this weekend. I turned down pizza twice! I was proud and felt like it was victorious but at the same time I don't want to go over board on not letting myself enjoy pizza occasionally. I felt that I really needed to eat well this weekend after the rough start to last week (it paid off though because I am back down from my binges and heading in the right direction).

While we were out thirfting on Saturday we had planned on going out to lunch. The hubs and I don't always agree on where to eat so before lunch time the hubby told me he would really prefer Jet's (pizza place) or Subway. I agreed on trying to let that happen since Jet's will sell by the slice and I would just order one. I really was hoping for Subway though because Jet's pizza is super greasy. As luck would have it, the plaza we were thrifting in around lunch time had both a Jet's and a Subway. Hubby was set on Jet's and for a second I almost went with him there. I used to have a crazy fear of ordering food alone in a restaurant. Even if we were in a food court, I would eat wherever he was eating from even if I didn't like it so I didn't have to order alone. Thankfully, I snapped out of it before entering Jet's and told him I was going to Subway. He got his pizza and met us (little lady and I) at Subway. We enjoyed our lunch together and I felt successful.

Sunday we had planned on cooking up some of the pierogies we made last month, but as evening got closer, hubby was feeling pizza again. We don't order pizza very often and I tend to always say no when he wants pizza so I told him that he could have pizza, but I was going to eat my planned meal. I felt sort of bad for not sharing dinner with him, but I had already thawed out the pierogies and was actually excited for dinner. I had something new to pair my pierogies with. Last weekend at the farmer's market I bought a huge bag of squash to share with my mom. One of the squashes that I got, the farmer described as sort of a cross between a butternut squash and an acorn squash- it's a butterCUP squash. I hadn't heard of that before and was excited for it.

buttercup squash! I loved the look of it.
The pierogies that I made were my sweet cheese ones so I thought they would go perfectly with a slightly sweet squash. I cut open the squash and "gutted" it, then roasted it in a pan with a little bit of water at 350* for almost an hour. I mashed up the flesh and added about a tablespoon of syrup to it. It was delicious! My pierogie filling was made with low fat ricotta cheese so I don't think they were to bad for me. I felt full and happy, which would not have happened if I ate the pizza (well, full? yes, happy? no)

flesh inside
The seeds were huge! We roasted them for a little snack. They were ok, but I enjoy acorn squash seeds better.
Last side note of this long post. I also found a fruit I had never seen before while I was out today-Kiwi berries. They are about the size of grapes and tasty! I am enjoying my new fruits and veggies. Who knew being healthy could be so fun?!?

cute little kiwi berries

No comments:

Post a Comment