Saturday, October 20, 2012

running and more running

Today was my last long training run. I was feeling really anxious about it for no real reason. I think it may have just hit me that next week is my first 10k! I really wanted to get my run done as soon as possible. I had a few things to get done this weekend and I just didn't want the run to be hanging over my head the whole time. The hubby agreed to watch little lady for the run so it was just a matter of lining up his errands and mine. He headed out to Menards early while little lady and I went to the recycling center and the farmers market. (It was my last chance for the year.)

As soon as hubby got home from Menards, I was out the door. The schedule had a 5.5 mile run for today, but after my best run ever I have sort of tried adding on an extra quarter mile to each long run. I was aiming for 5.75 miles. Since I don't have a Garmin (yet) and I don't have a smart phone I just use landmarks for distance. I occasionally use mapmyrun.com to get an idea of where I should turn. Conveniently the trail that I run on seems to have streets crossing it about every quarter mile so usually it just works out that I run until the next street on the trail. This morning I went online to see where I would turn and noticed that the next street I would cross on the trail was quite a bit further down and would have made my run well over 6 miles. I wasn't quite interested in that. I decided that I would just have to guess an extra quarter mile from where I turned around last week. (quarter mile out and back gives me an extra half mile)

Once I hit the trail and was feeling good I realized that I would never be really sure how far I ran and then would be extra nervous about adding on mileage at the 10k. I realized that if I turned at last weeks spot and ran back to the road that leads to my house, I could just cross over that road and run to the next street on the opposite side of the trail. I assumed it would add the necessary half mile and I could rest easy this week.

My run went well. I was feeling pretty good through most of it. I wore what I think I will wear next weekend for the official race and had no wardrobe issues so that was good. I ate what I think I will eat for breakfast around the same time I think I will be eating next weekend. The run took place around the same time it should next weekend. It took me awhile to finish though. I am not sure of my speed because I do run with a stopwatch but I forgot to start it at the beginning and learned that it stops keeping time after one hour. So, it did take me well over an hour for this run.

When I got home I decided to see how far I ran according to mapmyrun. I was shocked to see that I had ran 6.04 miles! I am feeling much more confident for next weekend! I can't believe that it is even impossible for me to run 6 miles! Plus I did it straight through, no walking stops! As long as the hills don't mess me up to much there is actually a chance I will run the whole thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment