Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Happy Runniversary!

I have officially been running for a whole year now! I was going to put quotes around "running" because I still feel weird telling people that I run. However, my last long run felt awesome and I will be running a half marathon in just over a month so I am more of a runner than I was a year ago!

I have been thinking about my running journey all day. (I think I am more excited today than I was on my birthday.) I remember a year ago so clearly. My husband and mother threw me a surprise 30th birthday which left me with a few gift cards. At the same time I had been thinking about running and even hinted that I wanted to try to run a 5k in the summer. I was stalking the weather channel waiting for weather that I thought I could take little lady with me for my attempts at running. The week following my birthday showed unusually warm weather for March in Michigan so the day we came back from the East side of the state for my party, little lady and I headed to a local superstore with a gift card and cash in hand.

I went to the clearance shoes and looked for something in my size and were specifically running shoes. I was way to imtimidated to go to a running store for shoes and I didn't want to invest to much. Thankfully the shoes that I purchases ended up working out well for me. I have heard so many horror stories of people buying the wrong shoes and ended up with problems or just not liking running. I actually still have those shoes from a year ago and wear them for all of my outdoor runs. (They will be downgraded to just for running the snow and rain once the weather is nicer and I can break out my new Brooks.)
trusty first pair of running shoes

At the store that day I also bought a pair of black "workout" pants. They were plain and, I think, cotton. They were all I wore through my couch to 5k training. As it got warmer out, I eventually bought capris to run in and they just happened to be moisture wicking. After that point, I could no longer wear cotton on runs. :)

The day after I bought my first supplies for running the weather called for sun and 60s. I decided it was time. I walked a half mile to the trail with my baby in a jogging stroller. I didn't realize there was an app that would time me and I didn't realize that I owned a stopwatch so I carried my iPod and just stared at the timer as I ran. The first week involves 60 second runs. I thought I would die! I was so embarrassed whenever other people were near me, but I kept going. I remember being so proud after my first "run." I also remember the struggle and telling myself that it would be okay if I had to repeat every week. I had started training in March for a 5k in August.

After that first week, I headed out to begin my second week of training with every intention to just repeat week 1. Once I got out there and started my first running portion, I kept going. I was on week 2 and as hard as it was, I realized that I could push through and I was ready for week 2.

I continued on each week without repeating any of the previous weeks. I was so proud of myself after each run. It was such an amazing feeling to know that I was doing something at 30 that I had told myself was not possible for me at 20. I kept at it and "graduated" from couch to 5k. I was not yet running 3 miles because I run slow, but hey- I was running for 30 minutes straight! (With couch to 5k you can run a set distance or a set time. I wasn't sure of my distance so I just ran for time.)

All summer long, I kept running. I didn't have any real schedule but I got out there and ran 1.5-3 miles a few times per week. I had to keep myself ready for my August 5ks! I didn't know what to expect for myself after August, but I knew that I liked being a runner. If felt good to know that I was doing something good for me.

As August approached, I realized that I was hooked on running. I wanted something to push me further. I looked into 10ks in the fall. I found one the last weekend of October and printed off a training schedule. After Labor day, I started training for a 10k. I remember the sense of accomplishment after each long run. I would burst into the house with a huge smile and make my husband guess how far I had run. Having him see me cross the finish line after my first 10k was amazing!

I knew that I wanted to continue on with running and was terrified of not running all winter. (Did I just say "terrified of NOT running?" Who am I?) I looked into spring half marathons to give me a reason to run when I would rather be curled up under a blanket. I found one the last weekend of April 2013. I am currently about half way into training for my first half marathon.

If you had told me a year ago that I would be running a half marathon (and excited/obsessed with it). I would have laughed in your face. I really wasn't sure that I would be able to run an entire 5k. I am so proud of how far I have come and am excited to see where else I will go. Running has changed me in so many ways and not just physically. (Although being 30 pounds lighter is nice!) I feel so much happier than I ever have before and as odd/corny as it sounds-I feel more alive now than ever before! So really today is more my "birth"day than this weekend was and I am so happy to celebrate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment