Thursday, March 21, 2013

Cleansing

I realize on my last post that once I recapped the past 5 days, I didn't really talk about the cleanse. I first mentioned the cleanse last Friday. My friend and I decided to try it together just to have someone to hold us accountable. We have been texting back and forth since Monday over the good and bad of our cleanse.

I really didn't expect much from this cleanse. I felt that I was eating mostly clean foods and that this cleanse would be easy for me. For the most part, my meals have not been a huge issue. I have tried a few new things though. I have been doing fruit smoothies for breakfast and hard boiled eggs with avocado for lunch. It has been helping me with my mindless snacking though, which is what I really needed help with.

I didn't decide to do a cleanse to lose weight. I am sure that I could do a 3 day juice fast and lose weight, but I would obviously gain everything back as soon as I started to eat real food again. I have been struggling with white processed foods. My husband loves taco night and prefers white tortillas. There are a few wheat tortilla brands that he will eat, but occasionally he just needs white processed tortillas. I am usually fine with ignoring his tortillas and sticking to my wheat or corn tortillas. However, for the past month or two I have found myself filling white tortillas (even though there are wheat tortillas in the fridge) with lunch meat and cheese or cream cheese and jam. They are delicious and I don't usually stop at one. I really needed to remove white grains from my diet for awhile just to reset myself. That was the main goal of the cleanse for me.

It is interesting how much I think about snacking when I am not really hungry. Now that my snack options are so limited (fruit, veggie, nut) I don't mindlessly snack so much. It seems that I actually only snack when I am hungry! haha. I did have a new to me fruit that I loved and felt like I was indulging- a cherimoya. It's common name is apple custard. It's not quite custard, but it is delicious. It was a bit pricey but I liked it enough that I went back to the store and bought 2 more today. 
cherimoya- new favorite fruit

Back to the cleanse, I wasn't really thinking of taking the no caffeine too seriously. I figured I would go one day without coffee and then allow myself just one cup of coffee each morning. I was shocked that I never got a headache from caffeine withdrawal, but I definitely lost focus and energy.

Monday I did have half of a cup of coffee to start the day, but have not had any caffeine since then. Tuesday and Wednesday were the worst. Both days all I wanted to do was place little lady in front of the tv and curl up under a blanket. Thankfully, I did not but I was not as energetic as usual. We made it to a Mom's club playgroup and even had some fun at home.

play dough fun while mom pretends to not need a nap
I also had to force myself to do each run this week. They were way slower than usual, but they got done.

Today, Thursday, I actual feel a bit of energy in me. I have not felt the urge to curl up in blankets and never move again. I actually feel more determined to complete this cleanse without anymore caffeine. (I may make an exception this weekend for my 9 mile run.)

Tomorrow is my weigh-in day so I am excited for that. I had gained about 2 pounds from the drinking that was last weekend, but those came back off pretty easily. Here's to a good weigh in day for all!



No comments:

Post a Comment