Sunday, February 24, 2013

Another first (sort of)

I finally did my first half marathon training run outside! It felt so good to be out there! But more about that in a minute.

This morning was a little out of sorts. Due to unexpected circumstances, we were all dressed and in the car by 7 am. Since we were already up and out we decided to go out for Sunday breakfast. I hate panicking whenever the hubby suggests going out to eat so I am trying to really focus on self control while dining out.

My favorite restaurant wasn't open until 8 (probably a good thing since it's much harder to use control on amazing food) so we decided to just go to a little diner type place in our small town. It's not the best breakfast, but I was really just going to enjoy my two favorite people.

We got there and I looked over the menu. They didn't have anything to special, just the usual omelettes, eggs, pancakes... I was thinking of getting an egg white omelette with just veggies but I really wanted a side of potatoes. I thought about getting them as well and just having a few bites. Then, I realized I didn't want the omelette at all. I was just getting it because it seemed like a good choice. I thought that if I wanted potatoes, I should get something with potatoes. I found a skillet with potatoes topped with veggies and cheese. I ordered it without the cheese and only ate half of it. To be fair, it was not delicious (I think all/most of the veggies were canned) but the potatoes hit the spot. I felt good about my choice and was surprised that I felt full. I realized that if I hadn't stop to drink coffee and focus on if I wanted more, I would have totally finished the meal. It was a good reminder for me to stop while eating and focus on how I am actually feeling.

We came home and I tracked everything I ate. It wasn't to bad. I guesstimated about 600 calories. Definitely more than I usually spend on breakfast, but it was nice to have a Sunday morning out to breakfast with just my little family. I planned out the rest of my meals today and can totally make it work into my calories.

I was thinking after last Sunday's disaster of a breakfast out, I needed to make sure to stay on track before I veer off course for another week. I figured a run should happen. My schedule has Sunday as a rest day and Monday-Wednesday 3-5 mile runs. I thought that since my legs felt good I would just do Monday's run today and then run again on Monday(unless my legs say no) and Wednesday. (I want to run on those days because I am meeting up with a friend on Monday, which usually involves food of some sorts and my brother is coming to town on Wednesday, which usually includes some drinking. I want some extra calories on those days.)

I decided that I would get ready to run before I changed my mind. I looked outside and it wasn't snowing at the moment, so I checked the weather. It was low 30s and a 30% chance of snow. I decided that I would head outside for a run. I just planned on doing 3 miles and told the hubby that if it was awful I would just do 1 mile outside and finish up at home on the treadmill.

Oh wow, was I glad I went outside. It felt so good to be out there running. Can I also say how much I love our trail?!? It was packed down from other runners and bikers. It made me feel connected in some way to the other local people that feel it necessary to get out in the snow and run. I even passed another runner out there at one point. It feels good to feel involved in some way in the active community. Plus, the snow can be beautiful and it was really peaceful to be out there.

snow covered trail
snow peaking out as I finish up my run
I am thinking my next long run (7 miles) may just be done outside in the snow! I actually regretted not gearing up and heading out yesterday.



No comments:

Post a Comment