Friday, August 24, 2012

Today has been quite the adventure filled day and we have much more adventure coming up. We baked more zucchini bread and muffins (that way you can taste the bread before you share it with people). After the bread had baked, little lady and I headed out for a run. I did 2 miles, but it took me forever. I was not in the right mindset. It is so much harder to run with a jogging stroller than not. Every time I get a break from running with the stroller it seems so much harder to go back to stroller jogging. I could not find my rhythm this morning. I did finish though. (Earlier this week I quit mid run for the first time ever.)

We came back from our run and showered and got dressed for the day. I needed to run a few errands in our downtown area. I decided this was the perfect time to try out my bike with the bike trailer. (We have an amazing camping adventure coming up next weekend too which will involve a lot of bike riding and trailer pulling.) We got all of our stuff together and headed out. There are small hills on the half mile road to the trail. It is nice heading from our house because you can almost coast the whole half mile to the trail. That was enjoyable! It's just over a mile to town from the trail. We made it there quickly and stopped at the bank, city hall, the library and the post office. It was different riding my bike around town. I felt like a child again.
The ride back wasn't as fun. There is a slight incline on the trail and then I hit the hill to our house. Oh wow! I only rode on it once before and I seriously quit half way up it and walked my bike previously. This time I wanted to really try to tackle the hill, but I also told myself there would be no shame in walking a bike with a trailer. Thankfully, I didn't need to walk it. I made it! I was proud of myself to make it up the hill pulling about 30 pounds.

I parked the bike and turned to check on little lady. She was sleeping soundly in the trailer. I decided to quickly load the car up with our recycling and then wake her to finish the errands. (Her nap time wasn't for another hour.) Everything was set and I picked her up. She totally stayed asleep. Of course, if I had wanted her to stay asleep she would have woken when the bike stopped. I started talking to her and she seemed really determined to sleep. I decided we would just go off schedule today and she would nap and we would head out afterwards.She woke up 20 minutes later and had lunch. We then finished our outings for the day and came home to try for a nap. I wasn't sure how it would go, but it went well.

She is officially taking her afternoon nap now and I have managed to make lunch and clean 2 of the 3 bathrooms. I have to finish packing before the hubby gets home. We are heading out to go camping tomorrow (Saturday) until Wednesday. We are meeting up with my brother and his family.
My brother is stationed in Virginia and we don't get to see him very often. He came home for a week this summer and I was bummed that we didn't get to spend much time during that week with him (or his wonderful wife and adorable son). We decided to meet in Pennsylvania, about half way between our houses, and camp. I am excited!

After our five day camping trip, we will come home for a day and then get ready to camp again for Labor day weekend. The reason I really needed to test out my bike with the trailer is that we are going on a bike camping trip. We have been talking about it for years and it will finally happen. My husband built a trailer for the bike to carry our tent and supplies on and we have a trailer for the little lady. Thankfully, the only trailer in stock when I went to buy one was a double stroller so little lady will ride with the sleeping bags. We are so pumped, but I am a bit nervous. The furthest I have pulled little lady is 16 miles (We visited a friend on Mackinac Island this summer and I used her bike to pull little lady about the island twice). I felt great after the 16 mile ride, but this trip will be about 50 miles! I think we can do it. I am in much better shape than I ever have been before, which is probably why it's finally happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment