Wednesday, August 22, 2012

introducing the transition to new me

So yesterday I started with the struggles of losing weight that the old me had. My main method to "dieting" was focused solely on dieting and ignoring fitness. Also, when I say I focused on dieting, I mean that I focused on what I could eat with the fewest calories/points so that I could totally eat some type of snack. I would save all of my points for evening treats. (Hey, it worked for me the first time around!) This time though I knew that I needed to make changes so I could lose weight and keep it off. I wanted to lose weight and not find it again.
My husband turned 30 in January this year. (I followed just behind him in March.) For some reason his 30th birthday really stressed me out. I realized we were no longer going to be in our 20s and was getting really antsy about that. I started to think about things I had wanted to accomplish, but hadn't been able to before. For some reason running got stuck in my head. I had thought about running before and occasionally would try it out. I remember when my brother joined the military almost ten years ago and he was getting ready for boot-camp. He would go out running and I thought that was pretty cool. I asked if I could go with him one day. I guess I thought that if someone was just there running with me I would magically run with them. It didn't work like that. We walked up to our old elementary school and headed to the track. He took off and I think I made it about a quarter of the way around the track and then quit. I figured, oh well, I am just not a runner.
Since then I had looked at a few different running plans, but pretty much just figured I couldn't do it. I blamed it on being diagnosed with asthma in high school. Although, I don't even remember the last time I used an inhaler. I think I tried to cover up the fact that I was out of shape with asthma. (Not that anyone that has asthma is faking and should stop their meds and run. I do know people who genuinely do have asthma and I have seen them struggle to breath in different situations. I just wheeze occasionally when I get sick.)
Anyways, I spent January reading about running, the how to's and the why's. I had looked at racing schedules and starting thinking about a 5k. There was actually one in our little town in mid-August. I decided that would be perfect. I really thought it would take me forever to be able to run 3 miles. I remember one January night sitting in bed with my husband and asking him casually, "hey, so if I were to run a 5k this summer would you come watch me?" His answered surprised me, "sure, but could I run it with you?" I was pretty excited about that.
I was sold on starting this running thing. I thought it would be the perfect answer to my weight problems. I could exercise with my daughter which excited me both because it would be a great example for her to see and I didn't have to "waste" her nap time exercising. (I need my down time. :) ) I decided on the c25k running schedule. Mainly because it's the most talked about one out there so I didn't have to look around to much. I decided that as soon as there was a week with temps in the 60s I would start running. (I didn't want baby to be cold, plus I was probably being a bit lazy.) I was excited and nervous. I will admit to checking the 10 day forecast every day. I knew I was going to do it!
I turned 30 in March with ideas of running going through my head. My husband and mother threw me a huge surprise party! They rented out a hall and served dinner, had an open bar and a DJ! It was a blast! I got to start off my 30s surrounded by the best family and friends a girl could ask for. As a bonus, I got birthday presents (How selfish, right? Well, hear me out.). I don't usually get many presents because once you turn 10 not many people really care about your birthday. The reason I was pumped about presents, mostly gift cards, was that I could buy running things! It's hard being a stay at home mom and feeling justified buying things for yourself. To make things even more exciting the week following my birthday had temps in the 60s. (We went through a crazy hot spell this spring.)
The Monday after my birthday weekend I went down to Meijer (a Midwestern nicer version of Walmart.) because I had a gift card there. I brought some of my bday cash too. I bought some clearance shoes. (I actually love them and have had no problems with them at all! I do want to go to an official running shoe store next time though to be professionally fit.) I also bought some workout pants that I didn't think I would die of embarrassment if someone saw me out there in them. At this point I now know those pants were not the best choice. They are a heavy cotton pant that makes me feel like I am overheating within seconds. However, at that time I didn't know any better and I loved them. (I guess I sort of still do, they were the pants I ran my first mile in.)
On Tuesday of that week, March 13th, would be my first day of the c25k. Thankfully we already had a jogging stroller. Nate had bought one used from someone at his work. I don't think we really even knew it was a jogging stroller. I think we just bought it because it looked like it would be good for "off roading" and we hike occasionally. I had planned on doing all of my runs with my little lady. 2 birds, 1 stone.

I guess I will start the story of my c25k experience later/tomorrow. This post is getting really long and I still  have a few things to do before little lady wakes up. I don't think my posts will always be this long, but I feel like there has to be a back story before I can even begin to explain my day to day life. haha. This does feel like great therapy to me though. Plus, it is keeping me out of the kitchen during her nap times which is usually the hardest part of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment